On 20 March, as the world celebrates International Day of Happiness 2022, Sheatwork addresses the importance of focusing on small wins and little joys for everyone, including entrepreneurs!
- What is happiness?
Well, this is a debatable topic, but I believe, happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
- Importance of being happy –
In today’s modern and hectic world, desires are on the peak and people are scrambling to fulfil them. Quantity has overpowered the desire for quality, leading to worries, dissatisfactions and unhappiness. From work related stress to family worries, the list is never-ending! Unfortunately, all of this has given rise to emotions like anger and sadness which are increasingly becoming a default way to be for a lot of us.
Moreover, now, with our world facing unprecedented challenges, wellbeing, both, physical as well as mental, matters more than ever. As we continue to respond to the Covid pandemic, it is imperative that we take action in the right direction to ‘Build Back Better and Happier’. Today, people’s overall wellbeing should be our top priority especially the happiness of entrepreneurs – the backbone of the economy!
- Under these circumstances, we welcome 20 March as the day the world comes together to recognize the importance of happiness in our lives. In fact, we celebrate it to appreciate the work done by the United Nations and its partner nonprofit group Action for Happiness, which is composed of people from 160 countries. The ultimate goal of the movement is to spread awareness that progress is not only about increasing bottom lines and encouraging economic growth, but well-being and human happiness as well. In 2011, the UN General Assembly adopted a resolution that made it a “fundamental human goal” to give happiness as much priority as economic opportunity. Two years later, in 2013, all 193 member states of the UN celebrated the world’s first International Day of Happiness, and it has continued to grow since.
- The importance of celebrating small wins
- According to Dr. Timothy A. Pychyl, “Progress on our goals makes us feel happier and more satisfied with life.” Hence you must not ignore small victories – no matter how small the victory, the joy of winning will certainly be immeasurable.
When pausing to celebrate a small victory — for instance, clearing 20 emails from your inbox, even when there are 200 still to go — reminds you that you’re making progress, and progress feels good. Furthermore, it motives you and makes you more confident in your endeavours. So, celebrate the small wins too along the way and be happy NOW instead of waiting to ‘catch a big fish’ and be happy.
- Though the following list is not an exhaustive one, I can suggest some ways to celebrate happiness day and be happy!
- Surround yourself with positivity. It’s difficult to maintain a happy mood if you’re surrounded by negativity, especially in your work place. It can bring down productivity levels sharply.
- Create a joy list and indulge in all that makes you happy.
- If you are a nature-lover spend time amidst nature. If you have meetings lined up, hold them in your garden…why not?
- Do something kind for someone else. Acts of kindness are often under-valued. Trust me, they can bring you immense joy! Also, it can be a part of your company’s CSR or a personal endeavor!
- Focus on gratitude. Count your blessings/victories, both, big and small and be thankful!
- Learn a new happiness tool – cultivate a new hobby (even busy entrepreneurs need time off to unwind!)
- Host a ‘Happiness Day’ meal not only on International Day of Happiness, but whenever you wish to! It has been proved that spending time with family and friends can take your happiness quotient to another level altogether!
So, if you’re happy and you know it, celebrate it on International Day of Happiness on March 20! It is indeed a day to cheer up and appreciate the good things and silver linings in life, and here is your mission this for this week (and ahead): Be on the lookout for the little victories and be happy!