Goal setting is talked about at different stages in our life’s journey. We set goals for various activities – like our studies, careers, health and so on. Whether you’re setting personal goals or professional goals, you have to go the whole way to achieve it.
It’s a real challenge to determine what results you are looking out for. When it is your business, are you willing to face the sacrifices required to achieve your goal? Here are some points to keep in mind:
• Work towards achieving your goals: Goals are useful for setting the direction. Goal setting is not only about choosing the rewards you want to enjoy, but also the costs you are willing to pay. Ideally, set SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely). This is the first step in making your goal a reality.
Make your goal as specific as possible and express it in positive terms. How do you measure success? You’ll need a way to evaluate your progress and determine if you’re moving towards your goal. Then, think about – is your goal achievable? Consider whether you have the resources necessary to achieve your goal. Realistic goals are achievable goals.
• Align goals with your values: If your goal doesn’t reflect your beliefs and character, then you’ll have difficulty achieving it. Then, even if you do manage to get what you want, you won’t be fully happy or satisfied. So, the idea is – set a goal that is meaningful to you and will make a difference in your life. You also have to be clear about the consequences of your outcome.
• Minimise potential challenges: How can you plan to eliminate obstacles down the line? Remember to create a complete, measurable, action plan that includes all the steps necessary to achieve your goal. Don’t forget due dates for each step. Then incorporate all your actions into your schedule. Add them to your calendar (with marginal flextime) to help you control any unexpected delays. Don’t forget to evaluate your progress regularly, for you may need to make changes or adjustments as your project takes shape. This will surely and steadily lead you up the path to victory.
• Measure your goals: Another key to making long-term progress on your goals is measurement. A critical issue is that the human mind loves to receive feedback. One of the most motivating things we can experience is proof that we are indeed, progressing or moving ahead. This is why measurement is so critical for effective goal setting. By measuring your results, you get an insight on whether or not you are making progress. Remember, the things we measure are the things we improve.
• Have a support system: As you complete your actions consistently, it will drive you towards your goal. Then, try and figure out – who in your family or friends’ circle, will provide you with encouragement, advice and healthy feedback or even a willing ear? This is because you need a positive environment around you, so that you are encouraged to move ahead.
• Reward yourself: Don’t wait until you achieve your goal, especially if it’s a long-term one. Reward yourself as you cross certain milestones. Something as simple as taking out time for yourself or perhaps a special treat can actually keep you motivated to keep forging ahead!