We thought remote companies are the way of the future. Technology has been moving in leaps and bounds – which was paving the way to move from a brick-and-mortar office to a virtual office, which you manage from the comfort of your own home.
And, then the pandemic happened and that speeded up the activity! The new normal became everything ‘virtual’. We now live in a world where working ‘remote’ has become a reality. High-speed internet access is virtually everywhere and being connected – to your family, friends, employees and to your customers – happens with a click of your mouse.
So, if you are thinking of streamlining your business to suit the times, it is now. Go ‘virtual’. The benefits of running a remote company are many. Not only are you cost-cutting (on rent and utilities), but you can hire employees from anywhere and, it also lets you choose the best talent for your business.
There are several aspects you have to consider, as an entrepreneur, when building a remote company. So how do you create a remote company that runs smoothly? Check out some tips for building a successful remote company.
- Use the right tools: Since everything will be digital, the team will require access to all the important files to complete tasks efficiently; and in a remote setting, they’ll need to access those files from their laptops or home computers. There are several software tools you’ll need to implement to have a successful remote company – like remote conferencing software for company meetings, webinars or to conduct remote interviews; project management tools let you assign specific tasks with deadlines and create workspaces for different teams where you can assign group projects. Your remote team will be clear about what has to be done in an organized way.
Another important tool you will want is a password manager that encrypts and stores your passwords online. If you use shared logins at your company, this tool generates secure passwords that will be automatically entered into login fields when your employee needs access.
- Communicate effectively – work out a communication plan: A striking difference between a traditional office and a remote setting is the style of communication. Many people complain now that they miss the face-to-face set-up, and talking to colleagues that is common in a traditional office. That’s why it is important to have a communication plan in place.
Today we find offices are using messaging tools; and these tools offer a sure-shot way for your business to remain organized. Plus the team can communicate, wherever they are in the world.
- Select the right remote workers: It is critical for your remote company to be a success, that you need your remote team to be successful too. So, step one is to hire the right and suitable remote members in your team. As a remote company, you can hire anyone – without considering whether they are in your city; it does not even matter in which part of the country they live in. But one thing is clear – you’ve got to make sure they’re right for you.
After sourcing sites where you can find remote talent to hire, you can choose some quality candidates and interview them using video conference software. Make sure they’re self-motivated, for being self-motivated is one of the most essential qualities in a remote employee, as it may not be possible to manage them minute-to-minute!
- Find creative ways to connect: Without face-to-face interaction, creating connections with employees and a culture for your remote company can be difficult. But it’s not impossible. Make the vision for the company very clear, and post it in a cloud collaboration service where remote workers can access it and be reminded of what bonds them together.
You can also have virtual events. You can hold fun, interactive challenges for your team to participate in, like non-competitive fitness challenges or like it happens today – have virtual tea/coffee, dinner/lunch parties and what have you. And, after things improve, maybe you can take your team for a retreat that allows strong bonding.
- Set clear goals: What will help everyone to keep on track is – to set firm goals for each of your remote employees, and clearly determine what your expectations are for each role. This refers to when deadlines should be met, weekly and daily to-do lists; and how you expect everyone to perform, which can be done online. All this can definitely increase company productivity. This can be done in detail as per your expectations and goals, and post them where they can be easily accessed by all team members. Having set clear expectations keeps everyone accountable.
In the past, running company from your home seemed impossible, but today, it’s quite the opposite. Follow these tips, and your business is bound to take off!!